If you're going away, then register your absence from residence with Victoria Police.
Why register you’re away from home
You can be away from your home for many reasons.
Letting police know is a proactive way you can help keep your home and community safe.
This is even more important if you'll be away a long time.
When you register with police, you provide:
- Your contact information.
- Times and dates you'll be away.
- Who to contact while you’re away.
Police stations have an absence from residence register. This information could be used to reach you or your emergency contact if there is an incident at your home or to perform patrols in the area. Due to the dynamic nature of calls for police services, Victoria Police cannot guarantee that police will attend your property during your absence from your home.
Be sure to notify police if returning earlier than planned.
Read the Preventing burglaries during holidays factsheetsto help keep your home secure while you are away.
What Victoria Police do with your information
Read Victoria Police's information privacy to see how they collect, use and disclose your information.
Key crime prevention tips
- Arrange a house-sitter or ask a trusted neighbour for help. Make it look like someone is home.
- Lock all doors and windows.
- Improve the security of your home.
- Secure valuables by keeping them in a safe place.
The Residential Crime Prevention Information Kit (PDF 99KB) has more useful tips.
A program of
In partnership with