Dispute your National Police Check result

What to do if your police check is wrong

If there’s a mistake with your police check result, we might be able to help.

You can ask us to raise a dispute with the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission (ACIC) for you. We can only do this if Service Victoria is on your police check certificate.

Find out more about disputing an NPC result (External link).


When you can raise a dispute

You can request for us to raise a dispute if:

  • the police information in the certificate is not yours
  • some of the police information is not yours
  • it’s your information but the details are wrong
  • it’s your information but the police shouldn’t release it


How to request a dispute

To request a dispute, you’ll need to:

  1. Download and complete a dispute form
  2. Provide these documents:
    • a copy of the NPC certificate
    • a copy of an identify document with your photo
    • evidence to support your dispute
  3. Email your form and supporting documents to npcdisputes@service.vic.gov.au

We’ll submit your form and documents to ACIC. If they need more information, we’ll contact you.

It may take from 1 day to a few weeks to get an outcome.

If the outcome is unsuccessful and you still believe your result is wrong, you can reapply to have it reviewed.

For more information, get in touch. See our complaints handling policy for how we resolve problems with you.


Download dispute form