You need a fishing licence for recreational fishing in Victorian waters.

This takes about 3 mins
Before you start

You can only buy a Victorian recreational fishing licence using this online service or through participating angling shops. 

You can't get a licence on behalf of someone else for any fee, commission or other monetary reward. 

Learn how the cost of your licence improves fishing in Victoria

Use this online service to:

  • apply for a fishing licence if you’re between 18 and 70 years
  • apply for a free fisher card if you’re under 18 years or 70 years and over

You don't need a fishing licence if you're:

  • under 18 years or over 70 years
  • a person identifying as Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
  • a Victorian or interstate equivalent Seniors Card holder
  • a Veterans Card — Victoria holder
  • a Veterans' Affairs Pensioner or TPI-coded Repatriation Health Card holder
  • a Commonwealth Pensioner Concession Card holder, coded either DSP, DSP Blind, AGE, AGE Blind or CAR


Payment options

We accept Visa You can also pay by MasterCard You can also pay by PayPal

How we use your info

We’ll pass on your info to the Victorian Fisheries Authority (VFA) to get your fishing licence or fisher card. We won’t use your info for any other purpose unless permitted by law. You can contact us or VFA if you want to access your personal info. Learn more about how we use your info.


There are 4 fishing licences available

If you buy a 3- or 28-day licence, you can save it to your Service Victoria account and access it from the app.

If you buy a 1- or 3-year licence, you can choose a digital licence or plastic card.

Never pay more than the official costs shown in this table, as set by the VFA.

If you see a different price online or at an authorised agent, contact the VFA.

Licence type Cost
 3-day $10.00
28-day $23.40
1-year $41.00 ($2.50 saving when bought online)
3-year $111.00 ($5.80 saving when bought online)


There are 2 fisher cards available

The fisher cards are plastic cards. There is no digital card.

Fisher card Cost
Junior fisher card (under 18 years) Free
Senior fisher card (70 years and over) Free

Fishing licences

What does the licence cover?

A Victorian recreational fishing licence covers all forms of recreational fishing in Victorian waters. This includes lakes, rivers and marine waters.

Can I use this licence interstate?

No. This licence is only valid for fishing in Victorian waters.

Can I buy a licence for a future date?

Yes. You can buy a licence for up to 3 months ahead.

Can I sell my licence or give it to someone else?

No. You can buy a licence for someone else, but you can't give or on-sell your own. Licences are for the named user only.

You can't buy a licence for someone else for a fee, commission or reward. Penalties apply.

Why do I have to pay for a licence?

The money collected from Victorian recreational fishing licences is spent on programs and initiatives to improve fishing in Victoria including:

  • better infrastructure, such as jetties and boating facilities
  • improved access to waterways
  • new fishing reefs
  • improved fish production and stocking
  • ongoing school education and children’s fishing programs

What happens if I don’t buy a licence?

Victorian Fisheries Authority officers check licences regularly. If you’re found without a current licence, officers can issue you an infringement notice. In extreme cases, you can be charged.

The Fisheries Act 1995 defines the relevant offences and penalties.

Can I buy my licence in person, instead of online?

Yes. You can still buy recreational fishing licenses at any authorised agent.

However, if you want a digital licence, you must buy it online. You'll be able to access your digital licence immediately if you buy online.

Never pay more than the prices listed here or on the VFA website. If a seller is asking a different price, don't pay and advise them to check with the VFA.

Will I get a physical licence sent to me?

If you purchase a 1- or 3-year licence and choose to get a plastic card, the VFA will send you your physical card.

If you have a Service Victoria account, all licences can be digital.

If you don’t have a Service Victoria account, or don’t want to create one, we’ll email your 3- and 28-day licences.

What should I do if I lose my physical or electronic licence?

Please contact the Victorian Fisheries Authority or fill out our feedback form.

Plastic cards aren't reissued, but we’ll send you an email with your licence details and help you access your digital licence if you have a Service Victoria account.

Can I lend or transfer ownership of my licence to someone else?

No, but you can buy someone else a licence at the same time you buy yours.


What kinds of species can be fished and how many fish can I take?

You can fish most species. Size and catch limits apply.

Check theVictorian Recreational Fishing Guide to see what you can't take from Victorian waters or download the Recreational Fishing App.

Fisher cards

Can anyone apply for a fisher card?

If you’re under 18 years, you can apply for the junior fisher card.

If you’re 70 years and over, you can apply for the senior fisher card.

If you’re between 18 and 70 years, you’ll need to buy a fishing licence for recreational fishing in Victorian waters.

Can I get a digital fisher card?

No. The fisher cards are plastic only.

Do I need to get a junior fisher card for my child?

Both the junior and senior fisher cards are optional. You don’t have to get one to go fishing.

How we use your info

We collect personal info the Victorian Fisheries Authority (VFA) needs to issue fishing licences and fisher cards. The Fisheries Regulations 2019 permits VFA to issue fishing licences.

You can’t apply for a fishing licence or fisher card without giving this info.

We’ll share this info:

  • with VFA
  • where permitted by law

If you have a fishing licence or fisher card and want to access your info, contact us or VFA.

To learn more about how we handle your info, see our Privacy and Security Policy or the VFA Privacy Policy.

A program of

Victoria State Government

In partnership with

Victorian Fisheries Authority