Change your Working with Children Check from volunteer to employee.

This takes about 5 mins
Before you start
You need to
  • Know your Working with Children Check card number. If you can't find it, then get your number before you start.
  • Have access to your mobile or email for the security check.
Be aware that
  • As soon as you finish this transaction, your current card will be cancelled and no longer valid. We’ll send you a new application number.
  • You’ll need to tell your organisations your volunteer card has been cancelled and you have a new application number. We will tell you if you need a new photo and how to upload one.
How we use your information

We’ll pass on your info to the Working with Children Check (WWCC) Unit Victoria to change your check from volunteer to employee. We won’t use your info for any other purpose unless permitted by law. You can contact us or WWCC Victoria if you want to access your personal info. You can also learn how Service Victoria uses your info here.

How you can pay
"" "" PayPal
Check type From 1 July 2024 
Volunteer to employee  $131.60
Keep in mind
  • Once you’ve paid, the cost is non-refundable, even if you are exempt.
  • We’ll email you a tax invoice once you’ve paid.
How long will it take to process my check?

It can take from 3 to 12 weeks to process your check. You can check on the status while you wait.

Can I work while you process my check?

In many cases, you can. But in some circumstances, it is an offence to work without a valid Working with Children Check.

Doing child-related work while your application is processing

What happens to my volunteer card?

We cancel your volunteer card when you apply for your employee check. We’ll issue you a new number you can use for both paid and volunteer work. Dispose of your old card securely.

How do I get a digital card?

You can easily add your digital WWCC card directly within the Service Victoria app.

What can I update when I change from Volunteer to Employee?

You can update:

  • Where you live
  • Where you work or volunteer
  • Phone numbers
  • Email
What can’t I update when I change from Volunteer to Employee?

You can’t change your name or gender online so find out what to do at:

Where can I get help or find out more about the check?

Working with Children Check Victoria (External link) (External link)can help you or give you more information.

What acts or regulations relate to the Working with Children Check?

A range of different laws may apply, depending on your situation. You can check them here if you need to (External link) (External link).

How we use your information?

We collect personal info that the Working with Children Check (WWCC) Unit Victoria needs to change your check from volunteer to employee under the Worker Screening Act 2020.  

We won’t be able to process your request unless you give us this info. 

We’ll share this info: 

  • with the WWCC Unit Victoria 
  • where permitted by law.

If you have a WWCC and want to access your info, you can contact us or WWCC Victoria (External link) (External link). To learn more about how we handle your info, see our Privacy and Security Policy

A program of

Victoria State Government

In partnership with